Category Archives: Coffee

Lunchtime testing

Popped home yesterday to try out the new gear with some fresh beans… having been on the road a bit lately, the bean supply was getting on a bit…

good results all round, and a well buzzed afternoon… a few pics of the results:

IMG_4986

IMG_4987

Still not the best that i have made, but itll take a little while to get used to the new grinder…

Just as a side note, the Portafilter im using is the standard one that comes with the LaCimbali (57mm) and i have converted it to a naked filter (with a holesaw). this functions perfectly… but you do still get the cut brass edge instead of a nice chromed finish like you would if you brought a pro version…

Im also using a triple basket here… probably one of my non standard bits of kit… 

John is a dirty little man…

Wellllllll… started pulling apart this grinder yesterday and lets just say that coffee is oily and stickey… so there is some pretty well constituted gunk built up in this puppy… 

IMG_4934

IMG_4940

IMG_4938

Apart from a pretty huge build up, it looks to be in pretty sweet condition… im pretty confidant that it will clean up fine 😉

here the innards out, very tidy:

IMG_4942

so further cleaning to follow… 

 

And this is John, a Gino Rossi RR45

So until i was lucky enough to get my hands on a mazzer for the grinding of my coffee… i was serviced my this guy…

IMG_4928 IMG_4929

as you can probably see, this old chap has had a hard life… Ill post some pics of his innards, which i suspect will tell a story of neglect and abuse over his lengthy life…

all in all i dont expect he will be beyond repair in any way, and i think he will look great in black…

Meet Lucy, Faema E98 Compact

Yes, i have done it… i have brought a new machine… I have done this, however, not with the intention of replacing my current machine but with the sole purpose of showing it some love and selling it on… 

Ladies and Gentlemen, Lucy… A Faema E98 Compact (im pretty sure)

IMG_4927 IMG_4926

So over the next few weeks ill pull this one apart and see what sort of condition we have on the inside but at the moment it is running very happily. A new coat of paint does seem to be in order… im not even sure that the red is original actually, i suspect that its not 😉

My Mazzer all finished

Having sprayed this puppy… it was fine time to reassemble and get it into my kitchen!

New Burrs arrived

IMG_4879

Given the state of the grinder, i wouldnt really be surprised if the burrs had ever been changed. 

IMG_4889

They might not look all that bad in the photo, but you could pretty happily lick them without worrying about cutting your tongue 😉 

Anyway, new burrs in, doser back on and all ready to go home 😀

IMG_4890

I have spent a fair while trying to get used to the new grinder. Its probably just that im used to my old one so much that its going to take some time. i cant complain too much thought, this was the third shot i pulled…

IMG_4902

Its certainly not perfect, but i have paid good money for worse 😉

First grinder restoration, Enoch … a quick paint job…

so i picked up a Mazzer Super Jolly that was pretty well shagged… pulled it apart to find its innards in excellent condition (aside form the burrs) and decided to give it some cosmetic work…

image (6)image (8)

You can see some pretty hefty chipping on the grinder, particularly around the bottom. So in some areas i had to sand it right back to the metal.

image (10)

image (9)

A coat of primer filler…

image (11)

and as per the instructions, 3 coats of top coat within an hour…

image (13) image (14)image (15)

Pretty happy with my new saturn black mazzer… more pics to come when i have reassembled it

Alice and her steam knob…

As expected, Alice was tonight kitted out with a new steam knob, noticeable larger than the standard model… Freshly oiled in these pics, it won’t be so shiny in the long run… Now all she needs is a coat of paint…

In oiling these kids in this stuff called kitchen oil… Sounds appropriate, but the real reason was that it’s mostly tung oil (probably, they don’t really specify on the label). From some reading, tung oil I the way to go!

20140620-212954-77394647.jpg

20140620-212953-77393709.jpg

Alice’s knob… So to speak

20140615-120643-43603828.jpg

Make a new power knob today… I’m sure it will look a lot better after she gets a coat of paint 😉

I’m making all these out of some Tasmanian melaleuca, aka tee tree, that we were actually give when a friend cut a tree out if his yard… You can see it on the lathe about half way through roughing out…
20140615-120642-43602921.jpg
It’s a pretty scrappy bit if timber, actually an off cut, so the quality of the finished knob is a bit low, some very fine cracking, but I don’t think it will come under too heavy scrutiny at my place… Being taken from the trunk, this section seems to lack the nice black striping that some if the smaller limbs sport… Sad but true…

Next is the steam knob I think